Friday, March 27, 2009

iTunes Improvements

I use iTunes as my media manager of choice.

Well, actually there isn't a choice since iHave an iPod.

And if I'm going to be forced to use a certain program, I'd like to see some improvements around here.  I'm talking to you, Mr. Jobs.

While iTunes works flawlessly 90% of the time, there are limitations that drive me nuts.  Here's a list:

1.  Support multiple users.  XP supports multiple users.  iTunes does not.  My wife and I are constantly having to log into each other's accounts to close iTunes so that we can run it in our own session.  I don't have to do this with any other program on my computer.  Not Word.  Not Firefox.

2.  Treat audiobooks as audiobooks.  I want iTunes to remember where I was in the book.  Like Audible does.  Like iTunes itself does for podcasts.  I was given an audiobook as a Christmas gift last year.  Getting it all sorted out and listening to it was so frustrating I almost re-purchased it from Audible.  Only the fact that the book was on the subject of financial responsibility kept me from doing so!

3.  Centralize the local iTunes library.  Let my wife and I share our music libraries on the same computer.  There is NO technical or legal reason this cannot be done.  None.  When she buys an album, it should automatically show in my library.  I should not have to go find the files in Windows Explorer and manually add them.  I'm not asking to share my files with the world, just my family - which is entirely within my fair usage rights.

I like iTunes.  I really like my iPod.

Apple, please help me like using them even more.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I believe I've seen solutions for each of these issues on the TekZilla daily tips, or TekZilla weekly show.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home